Thursday, August 31, 2006

How-to: RSI & Ergonomics

Summer is almost over and another how-to is long overdue. Everyone is back from conferences and vacations. We have successfully recovered from Kathy's buying binge (she spent our remaining budget money from the 2004-2006 fiscal year on many MANY books that we had fun processing and cataloging & new computers for the staff). We appear to be going full steam ahead with our new network (new email addresses and new web site--check out our web site survey if you haven't already!). And I'm pretty sure I now need a vacation from summer!

RSI (repetitive stress/strain injuries) or RMD (repetitive motion disorders) occur in many different occupations, one of the most well-known being the occupation of hunching over a computer, eyes squinting, furiously typing and mousing through document creation and Internet surfing. If you have ever come up for air after focusing intently on that video game, series of YouTube videos, or (heaven forbid) 50-page brief, and found lower back pain, eye strain, and a cramped wrist, then you know the dangers of RSI.

One of Google's staff doctors, Dr. Taraneh Razavi, posted a short article about RSI on the Official Google Blog that gives some eye-opening statistics about RSI and it's impact on revenue each year. Dr. Razavi also provides some tips and further links to avoiding RSI. In addition to these resources, I highly recommend the information provided on MedlinePlus on Ergonomics.

One interesting option for modifying your keyboarding movements that I found was suggested by Heidi Yelk, Law Librarian for the Wisconsin State Law Library. She writes in their June 2006 newsletter that you can easily change your keyboard layout from the traditional QWERTY layout to DVORAK. Since I spend an inordinate amount of time typing, I thought I'd give this a try.

Ydco co mf ucpoy ayy.mly yr go. yd. Ekrpat nafrgyv (Translation: This is my first attempt to use the Dvorak layout.)

Obviously, a tutorial or two is necessary. If you are persistent and you have RSI pain goading you, this could be a good option. But be ready--it does mess with your brain a bit.

Perhaps I will start small and provide Meg with a supply of koosh balls. She can throw one at me whenever she sees me slouching (I'm going to have to find A LOT of koosh balls).

No comments:

Check out our tags in a cloud (from Wordle)!